The active ingredients in our Cranberry Extract, Malic, Citric, and Quinic Acids acidify the urine and keep unwanted material from adhering to the cells that line the bladder wall.
• Cranberry is a dietary supplement to support urinary tract functions.
• Cranberry contains Malic, Citric and Quinic Acids which are the active ingredients that acidify the urine and keep unwanted material from adhering to the cells that line the bladder wall. These acids also act asantiseptics to promote thorough cleansing of the urinary tract.
About Urinary Tract Infections (UTI’s)
• Eighty percent of all women will experience a UTI in their lifetime and approximately 20% of women will have one each year. In the us alone, 9. 6 million doctor visits per year are attributed to UTIs and they are the second leading cause of lost work days for women.
• UTI’s also occur in men and may be a sign of serious underlying conditions such as problems with the prostate gland. Many conditions affecting the kidneys, bladder, or urethra are described as urinary tract infections, and most UTI’s are concentrated in the bladder and urethra.
• An infection can develop when bacteria enter the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the body) and travel up into the bladder. Over 90% of UTI’s are caused by the bacteria Escherichia coli (E. Coli), which is present in the colon and rectal area.
• Factors that increase UTI possibility are:
Pregnancy- because the growing baby presses on the bladder which may prevent it from completelyemptying.
Sexual Activity- because bacteria can be pushed from the rectal area toward the vagina and can then enter the urethra and ascend into the bladder.
Use of a diaphragm- if not fitted properly can cause pressure on the bladder and increase the change for infection.
Menopause- because the decline in estrogen levels leads to thinning of the urinary tract, making it easier for bacteria to break through.
Incontinence- because the bladder does not completely empty which increases the susceptibility to infection.
Structural abnormality- because it can restrict the free flow of urine.
Suppressed immune system- because it effects the body’s ability to fight off infection.
Enlarged prostrate- because it puts pressure on the urethra and the bladder opening preventing complete emptying of the bladder and may result in infection.
• For centuries cranberry has been a popular folk remedy for urinary health. Research suggests that its benefits may be due to its ability to acidify the urine.
• a study done in mice and published in the Journal of Urology demonstrated that cranberry inhibited the adherence of Escherichia coli to the epithelial cells in urinary tracts by 80%. E. Coli is the primary cause of urinary infections. Similar activity was found in human subjects as well.
• Research published in the New England Journal of Medicine has identified that certain compounds incranberry, namely the condensed tannins or flavanoids (proanthocyanadins), are responsible for theanti-adherence effect.
• Several clinical studies have found cranberry juicebeneficial in preventing UTI’s. The amount of juice required is 10 to 20 ounces per day and it may contain a fair amount of sugar and calories.
• Cranberry from FoodScience® of Vermont provides aconvenient way to get a concentrated extract that can give you all of the benefits of the berry.
Vegetable cellulose, rice flour, vegetarian leucine, silica.
As a dietary supplement, take 1 capsule, one to three times daily, between meals.
If pregnant or nursing, consult your healthcare practitioner before taking this product. Color of this product may vary due to color variations of the natural ingredients. Keep out of reach of children. Store in a cool, dry place.